Tombola Bingo is one of the most recognisable bingo brands in the UK. The site is the largest in Europe and is owned by Flutter Entertainment after a company takeover in January 2022. They have an in-house team that develops original bingo software and games, which is what sets it apart from many other bingo sites.
Find out more about the company that owns Tombola Bingo and what this bingo site has to offer below.
The Ownership and History of Tombola Bingo
Tombola was created back in 1999 by Phil Cronin. Before this launch, he worked at the family business, which provided paper bingo tickets for bingo halls and had been doing so since the 1960s.
The site started as Sun Bingo, with branding associated with the infamous The Sun newspaper. Tombola provided all the technical elements of the site as well as the staff and games while The Sun provided the marketing. This all changed in August 2008 when the site split into two. Tombola retained the site and rebranded it as Tombola, while The Sun continued on as Sun Bingo and used the JackpotJoy software to provide a range of bingo games.
By 2021, Tombola had around 700 staff members and had made a profit of £38.5 million in 2020. The company’s revenue growth was around 25% per year for the previous five years. It is the biggest online bingo operator in Spain and Italy after expanding into Europe a decade ago.
In November 2021, it was announced that Cronin had sold Tombola to Flutter Entertainment for £402 million. The brand had only been valued at £150 million, but its new owners saw its potential. Flutter Entertainment is known in the industry as being the owner of reputable online casinos such as Paddy Power, Betfair, PokerStars and Sky Bet.
Who Is Flutter Entertainment?
Flutter Entertainment is the result of a merger between two gambling companies – Betfair and Paddy Power. It is an Irish gambling company and was founded in February 2016. Besides Tombola, another notable acquisition for the brand was The Stars Group in 2019. They purchased the Candian gambling company for US $6.95 billion. The brands Paddy Power, Betfair and Sky Betting Gaming are all regulated by the UK Gambling Commission.
What Does Tombola Bingo Have to Offer?
Tombola Bingo is one of the largest online bingo operators in the UK. The site has a lot to offer, including unique bingo games, no wagering requirements, live chat support and more.
- Welcome offer – the main appeal of the Tombola Bingo welcome offer is that there are no wagering requirements attached
- In-house bingo games – Tombola Bingo has an in-house team creating unique bingo software. You will not find these games anywhere else and there are over 20 bingo rooms to play in with plenty of bingo variants including 90, 80, 75, 60 and 30 ball bingo
- Customer support – the site offers live chat, telephone and email customer support. The live chat service is available 24/7
- Payment methods – the only payment methods available at Tombola Bingo are debit cards. You will not find any e-wallets, e-vouchers or pay by phone available on this site
- Safety – Tombola is licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission. It also uses the latest SSL encryption technology to ensure your payments are protected
- Mobile app – Tombola has a mobile bingo app available to download on iOS and Android devices. It allows you to access all your favourite bingo games from this site on the go
The Future of Flutter Entertainment
Flutter Entertainment has many growth strategies for the company’s future. The company is focusing on optimising its customer experience to develop new and innovative ways of enhanced gaming, This includes more development of PokerStars virtual reality products. This provides a social gaming experience that is one of the top-rated by Oculus.
The company is also investing heavily in the US. Flutter Entertainment owns the US gambling site FanDuel and is focused on expanding the site as more states legalise online gambling. They are currently the largest online sports and gaming operator in the US.
It is easy to see why Tombola Bingo is one of the most popular bingo sites amongst UK players. Not only does the site offer unique bingo software and 24/7 live chat customer support, but a hugely reputable company also owns it. The new acquisition by Flutter Entertainment now puts it alongside a wide range of reputable gambling sites that are trusted by players in the UK.
Last updated: Jan 24, 2023